Party's Over For Erasmus Students in the Post-Brexit UK

  •   Last Updated:
    By Bella C.

Brexit is the final coup de grace for the Erasmus scheme. UK students will no longer be able to get a grant to study in the EU and the same goes for EU students who will now have to pay the full price to study in the UK, just like non-EU internationals. This will mainly impact students wanting to study in top UK universities and improve their English.

Under the latest version of the Erasmus program, around 200,000 students have taken part including around 15,000 British university students each year. In this blog, we outline the new requirements for EU students wanting to study in the UK.

Many past Erasmus students will mourn this day and will not forget the countless Erasmus parties they had, the international community they built abroad, the memorable trips they had and all the lessons they learnt. This is the beginning of a new chapter. Do not despair, the Erasmus program is still very much alive throughout the rest of Europe with Spain and Portugal being the top destinations.


Visa requirements from January 2021


You can stay in the UK as a student for up to 6 months without a visa. All students wanting to study in the UK will need to apply for a Student Visa and will need to demonstrate the following if they stay over 6 months:

  • you have been offered a place on a course by a Home Office-licensed Student sponsor
  • you can speak, read, write and understand English
  • you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course
  • you genuinely intend to study in the UK
  • payvisa fees (at least £348) and health care surcharge application dependent (Find out using this calculator)
  • Pay tuitions fees (Usually up to £20k for a year)

For more information on the new point-based system. Have a read here. If you are still unsure if you need a visa, follow this guide


Grandma DJing and getting the party started


For UK students wanting to study abroad


The Erasmus Program will be replaced by the Turing scheme backed by over £100 million, providing funding for around 35,000 students in universities, colleges and schools to go on placements and exchanges overseas, starting from September 2021. Details are not yet available. We will update this blog when more information is available


New visa for students graduated from a UK university


As soon as you obtained your degree at undergraduate level or above from a university in the UK, you will be able to apply for a Graduate visa to stay and work in the UK for a maximum period of 2 years (3 years for PhD students) from the date you complete your studies.

The Graduate visa will open in summer 2021 to all international students who were sponsored by a Home Office-licensed Student sponsor which has a track record of compliance with the UK Government's immigration requirements.


Recent comments

Add your comment

All comments are moderated. No need to log in to leave a comment, just fill in a valid email and click send.

Latest blogs

Read the latest party trends near you

Like our Tiktok Page

Follow us on Tiktok

Keep in touch with us and receive amazing party offers, special discounts and the latest party tips for your city when you like our TIKTOK Page. 100% Free! JOIN US NOW!

Travelling somewhere soon?

Don't miss out on the clubbing experience when you reach your destination. Start your search now and get ready to party when you arrive!